In this extensively revised and expanded second edition of “Uncle Eric Talks About Personal, Career, and Financial Security”, Uncle Eric introduces the concept of model. Models (or paradigms) are how people think; they are how we understand our world. Models help us recognize and use the information that is important and bypass that which is not. To achieve success in our careers, investments, and every other part of our lives, we need sound models. In this book, Mr. Maybury introduces the models he has found most useful (Economics and Higher Law). This is the first book in the Uncle Eric series and, while designed to stand alone, provides an excellent foundation for Maybury’s other books. To improve the student’s learning experience, also purchase the student study guide for “Uncle Eric Talks About Personal, Career, and Financial Security” titled “A Bluestocking Guide: Building a Personal Model for Success”, which is also available from Amazon.com.
Part One: How the Mind Works
1. How We Understand Our World
2. Building Mental Pictures
3. Sorting Data
4. Where is the Evidence?
5. How to Learn or Teach Models
6. Two Highly Important Models
7. History Without Models
8. A Model for Selecting Models
9. Does it Predict?
10. A Way to Test a Model You Are Not Qualified to Test
11. Beware of Tautology
12. How to Control People
13. Cognitive Dissonance
14. How to Stop Learning
15. Automatic Evil
16. Models Tend to Merge
17. How to Get Started Learning Models
Part Two: The Best Model for Success
18. What is Success?
19. A Short History of Models for Success
20. Another Mouth to Feed
21. A Model Born of Desperation
22. Making Your Model Work
23. How to Acquire a Business
24. What Kind of Millionaire Do You Want to Be?
25. Savings and Investments
26. Social Security
27. Real Estate and Debt
28. Investment Advisors
29. Negative Real Interest Rates
30. How to Keep What You Have Earned